Quick Pickled Onions
You’ll want to keep these on hand in the fridge, makes a great addition to salads and burgers. This is a key ingredient in our “Duck Burger”.
*revised recipe inspired by Cookie and Kate.
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup Roche red wine vinegar (we used our own, but you can use red wine vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. chili pepper flakes
- Pack the onions into a mason jar or another heat-safe vessel. Place the jar in the sink so that the hot vinegar is not splashed anywhere unsafely.
- Combine the water, vinegar, maple syrup. salt, and chili flakes in a small saucepan. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and then carefully pour into the jar of onions.
- Use a utensil like a spoon to press the onions into vinegar making sure that there are no air bubbles. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
- After 20-30 minutes, cover and refrigerate the pickled onions for later use. Keeps 2-3 weeks in the fridge, but best within 3 days.
These onions are a great part to any burger, but specifically our Duck Burger.